Working long hours and exposed to large volumes of customers, essential workers are at the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now more than ever, the OC Board of Supervisors needs to establish clear and consistent safety measures rather than non-enforceable recommendations.
Call on on Chair Michelle Steel and the rest of the Board of Supervisors to require the following health protocols to ensure the safety of Grocery and Drug retail workers and the communities they serve.
REQUIRE all Grocery and Drug retail employers to provide:
- Adequate time for employees to wash hands every 30 minutes, or as needed;
- Personal protection equipment for all employees free of charge (gloves and masks)
- Public notice that customers be required to wear face coverings when shopping
- Plexiglass at check stands and pharmacy counters
- Customer crowd control and security guards; Limit capacity to 40% of maximum occupancy.
- Standardized and limited operating hours for all grocery and drug stores, to allow for proper sanitation